What are the thinking strategies that all proficient readers use as they read?
- Determining What is Important – Identifying themes and diminishing focus on less important ideas or pieces of information
- Drawing Inferences – Combining background knowledge and textual information to draw conclusions and interpret facts
- Using Prior Knowledge – Building on previous knowledge and experiences to aid in comprehension of the text
- Asking Questions – Wondering and inquiring about the book before, during, and after reading
- Monitoring Comprehension and Meaning – Using an inner voice to think about if the text makes sense or not
- Creating Mental Images – Implementing the five senses to build images in the mind that enhance the experience of reading
I would add one more. If it is serious reading, identify a list of major concepts and draw a concept map. Keep this as your notes for a future reference.