One of my favorite podcasts on Data Science is by Ben Lorica from O’Reilly. You can find more about the Data Show Podcast here.
This podcast is about Data Science Past, Present and Future – an interview with DJ Patil (a well-known Data Scientist). Here are a few snippets.
- Data Science is a big tent model. It requires a knowledge of Mathematics, Statistics, Programming, a hacker mentality of exploration, and the ability to communicate well.
- Current Data Science applications are geared towards consumer internet. But there are lots of opportunities in areas like social sciences.
- A Data Driven Organization is one that uses data to test hypotheses and make decisions.
- Chief Data Officer (CDO) is responsible for the good stewardship of data in an organization. Sometimes, they are also known as CAO – Chief Analytics Officers
- Towards the end of the podcast, there was a discussion on data ethics, dilemma of decision making in automated systems and societal questions.