29 March 2012
The HTML Working Group has published ten updated working drafts. Two documents that hold special interest in the light of WikiData project are HTML+RDFa 1.1 and HTML Microdata. Both are ways of marking up HTML so that you can easily extract semantic data and relationships.
- Wiki Markup is a higher level markup than HTML and Wiki Data is a subset of the larger Web Data
- While WikiData is a controlled experiment to enrich wiki information, HTML RDFa is a broader attempt to mark up the entire web of data
- Enriching WikiMarkup with Semantic Markup may be one method of increasing semantically marked content.
- The current approach of WikiData seems to be to provide forms to fill and make the meta (semantic) markup invisible. This is a good bootstrapping strategy. There is nothing similar in the Web Content world. Web Content Creation/Editing tools may be able to borrow some ideas from the WikiData experiment.
- It will be interesting to watch how things play out. WikiData seems to be on tight deadlines (significant demonstration of technologies by end of 2012).