I was searching for some course ware for Learning Point. The first natural place to visit was MIT OCW (Open Course Ware). Looking through some courses, I found this presentation on Emerging Technologies. It contains a few slides on Predictions of the future by Ray Kurzweil.
It is interesting to read predictions since they act as catalysts for thinking (just like Science Fiction).
- What are the chances some of these predictions may come true?
- What happens even if a few of them come true – how can we handle them?
- Is our ability to absorb radically new ways of living using these technologies increasing?
- Are we simply getting used to this pace of innovation in technology? What about the people who do not?
- Is there a new divide so called Information Rich and Information Poor developing rapidly?
- Is the next problem (after global poverty), information poverty?
- How do you know what you don’t know?
These predictions excite me but also scare me a bit.