I was spending some time looking at various mashups. I was wondering whether a Mashup Markup Language (MML) will be useful to make mashup development simpler. MML will have the following characteristics:
- It will be an XML vocabulary
- It will describe backend services, the mashup mapper and the front end
- Backend services section will describe each subset of the service the mashup uses
- Mashup Mapper will describe how to transform the backend service to be used by the mashup front end. It will describe both client to server and server to client transformation
- The mashup client section will provide an abstract description of the client
- A set of interaction elements will describe both client to server and server to client interaction
- Look at MML as the abstract description of MVC of a mashup
Why MML? I see the following benefits.
- It will help us to think in abstract description of a mashup
- Will provide a starting point for building some generic reusable components for building mashups
- Will provide higher level description of mashup UI as well
I would love to discuss with anyone who may be interested in taking this idea further during Mashup Camp.