Here is a nice post on why Top 10 reasons why ‘Top 10’ lists are so popular. I think that this applies to any list, even 3 or 5 or 7 items. So I tend to use them lot everywhere including the documents I write.
- They are easy to digest
- They’re inherently linkable
- They will spread and be shared
A few other potential additions to the list:
- The are concise (save readers a lot of time)
- Whey you have to say something in a few words, you will think a lot before saying it
- Whether organized or not, they read well. If you number them, however, you may want to rank them too