Google creates a tool for creating your own contextual search engine. And an addition tool to customize it incrementally. You can create your own, here.
You can customize it in two ways:
- By specifying a set of keywords
- By specifying a set of websites (the search can be limited to these sites or just used for emphasis)
There are a couple of nice features.
- Google Marker allows you to add sites to custom search engine easily. This way you can keep refining your search
- The keywords are used as hints to the search engine. I hope Google will use it simply as a way to establish context to your searches.
- You can allow others to contribute to this search.
I created one for XML for testing it. Works great. I will keep refining it.
Here are a couple of wish list items:
- A recommendation service where new related topics and sites are recommended from Googles database of searches
- An RSS stream for results
- More ways to customize search results
Here is the link to Google’s Blog Entry.