We have been experimenting with some ideas at in50hrs and 32hourstartup and here is the latest incarnation of one of those ideas – Sponsored Projects.
Why Sponsored Projects?
Sponsored Projects allow you to work with developers in the region to get concept prototypes built over a weekend. From the developer’s point of view, they get to work with companies and gain experience.
Why Should Companies Be Interested?
There are a few good reasons.
- Many of us have ideas but never get the time to work on prototyping them. This is a chance to try out a few of those ideas over a weekend.
- We may not have the time or the required knowledge of technology to build concept/functional prototypes. We can get help from the developers in the community.
- You time box your effort. The entire effort takes a little bit more time than a weekend.
- The process of working through a prototype implementation refines your idea further.
- By participating, you help and encourage students and budding entrepreneurs in your community.
How Does It Work?
Do you want to sponsor a project at in50hrs? This is how it works.
- Create a project entry (one for each project) consisting of project name, brief description, required skills.
- In50hrs hosts this list and requests developers to register expression of interest.
- Registered developers sign up for one or two projects to show that they are interested.
- You contact developers who show interest in their projects and short list a few.
- You will pay the registration fees for the selected developer(s).
- You create a pitch, specifications (including UI), define milestones and mentor developers at the event.
- You will help present the prototype at the final demo event
Why Should Developers Be Interested?
If you are a developer, there are several reasons to look at sponsored projects.
- You will get a project mentor who will be involved in the project.
- You will get to choose from a few ideas, before the event.
- You will have some one to brainstorm with about specs, milestones, design, features.
- It is great learning experience (especially if you are a student).
- There will be some one to review your work and make useful suggestions and provide feedback.
How Do Students Register?
- Go to the in50hrs website and click on the sponsored projects link (it is not there yet, but will be put up by 1st Nov).
- Choose one or two projects and apply by filling a form.
- If you are accepted, the company will contact you through email.
- Register for the event and show up on 4th evening to start working on the project.
If you are interested in being a sponsor or working on a sponsored project, leave a comment here with your questions. We will put up some forms for sign up at in50hrs site by 1st Nov 2011.